Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2012 14:49:20 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing CVS from HEAD

=?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= wrote:
> "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> writes:
> > Removing CVS from src/ will be easily recoverable for commited FreeBSD
> > users, but will degrade FreeBSD for some visitors from other Unixes &
> > ex BSD people tentatively returning.
>
> Which other Unices provide CVS out of the box?
>
> > Rather than lose a lot of time on docs, mail lists etc, it's easy to
> > decide: "Probably much else changed or missing too, I'll lose too much
> > time to revert it to a working Unix environment. Try next OS."
>
> Yes, because I'm sure the absence of a program they haven't used in five
> years, if ever, and will probably never need is the largest hurdle to
> overcome for new or returning FreeBSD users.

DES took partial misleading context & exagerated.  Original was:

>   At the stage one tries new Unixes, if too many things are missing
>   &/or too much trouble to learn what & how & where changed, & how
>   to restore; Rather than lose a lot of time on docs, mail lists
>   etc, it's easy to decide: "Probably much else changed or missing
>   too, I'll lose too much time to revert it to a working Unix
>   environment. Try next OS."

DES hyperbole discarded, CVS would be just one more issue just for some.

Some might agressively pitch for a short timescale, but if CVS goes,
FreeBSD will hopefuly look beyond just its developers' group, remember its
users, & consider a schedule similar to one a OS software manager would.

Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".