Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 12:56:16 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

[ Allow me to wax for a quick moment.  This is the *only* post I'll make
on this topic ]

> Many of us have a long history, either as employees or as tier-one
> developers for major UNIX systems houses.  The reason we are here
> is to Do The Right Thing The Right Way.

Actually, the reason I'm here is because this is 'fun'.  And, there is
prestige to be had for being a contributor.  The latter is the reason we
do things the 'right way', because if you do crappy work the prestige is
lessened.  However, sometimes 'the right way' gets in the way of 'fun',
due to time constraints and other issues, so the developers settle for
'the best job given the current situation'.

If that means using TCL and having a workable solution next week
vs. spending 2 years writing a end-all/be-all/do-all front-end that is
the 100% correct solution then I'm for using TCL.

That doesn't mean 'crap' is allowed, but there are certain tradeoffs
that are acceptable, such as allowing GPL'd code into the tree when
there is nothing BSDish that fits the bill.  But, it also means that we
didn't accept the SVR3 style shlib either because in the long-run it'd
make like *more* difficult for both the developers *and* users.

Claiming that we only do the '100%' pure thing is simply leading people
astray.

Nate