Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:42:04 +0200
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with SCSI Streamer

As Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Yes.  Wangtek was the worst. The variable mode for the 51000H was
> awful and just plain wrong.

Haven't seen that, the largest QIC drive i've ever seen from Wangtek
was the 5525 one (but that could at least do variable mode well
enough).  But you're right, their QIC drives didn't make a good
impression, starting with the mechanics already.

> > Well no, i don't wanna piss you off, nor do i have more time at hand
>
> No, no, it's just at least on this topic I can't seem to please anyone.

But that's a constant attribute of a tape driver maintainer, isn't it?
:-)

> > I once thought about re-implementing `programmable' tape devices, like
> > they did exist pre-CAM, ...

> Actually, I think these are a bit of a crock- for every Nth option
> you'd want to set, you'd need a different matrix name. What you need
> to do instead is to establish persistent settings for specific
> drives that re-establish after reboots and even if devices change
> address.

Hmm.  For the relation between drive (manufacturer/model) and the
settings, i think the hints/quirks stuff could work out.  However, i
doubt this will work well if you start including media densities in
the matrix, but that's exactly the problem for QIC: i'd like to run my
drive in variable mode except for QIC-150 media.  Right now, i always
have to remember about the right mt density command before starting an
operation (the first "mt blocksize 0" is set via rc.local at
boot-time, since this is the usual default i want).  The idea with the
subdevices would at least allow for an rc.tape script that could
adjust four arbitrary values for each drive, as the operator/owner of
the machine would like it to be.  OK, it's a manually maintained
persistence then, sorta. :)

But if quirks => hints could do this, i wouldn't be opposed to it.  Or
if we could combine both.