Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 12:31:13 +0100
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with vat under newpcm

Hmm, I have been able to gather some more details on the problem
with vat+newpcm I mentioned yesterday on -current.

If I compile vat to open /tmp/audio (and remove all sound ioctl
and non-blocking stuff) instead of having it open /dev/audio, then
run a "cat /tmp/audio > /dev/audio", the sound comes ok.

On the other hand, if I replace the code in vat with a popen("cat
> /dev/audio") and a call fileno() to get the fd, vat still doesn't
work (only very random fractions of sound).

Any ideas what might be wrong? As I said earlier, amp and mpg123 work
fine...
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr