Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 07:21:49 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd and syslog.conf

> Hello!
>
> Those who are reading freebsd-security, already saw this.
> For others, briefly:
> There was a question and few followups about the syslogd
> which doesn't allow to have spaces between the first and the second
> field in /etc/syslog.conf .
> (this is a feature of syslogd in some (or all ?) other Unices).
> Only <tab>s are allowed.

Having had a chance to think about this, I think that a modification of
this nature, which would make syslogd somewhat incompatible, e.g. not
the same as, syslogd's on other UNIX systems, a name change should also
be considered.  In keeping with tradition, this new syslogd should be
called nsyslogd.

Taking a compromise position, I think that there are a couple of

1.  Define the characters that syslogd should recognize and have the
syslogd
    Makefile build syslogd and nsyslogd, or

2.  Make the new behavior an option, "-n" for new behavior, or have
syslogd
    see whether it was invoked via the syslogd command or nsyslogd
command
    and invoke the new behavior based on that, or

3.  Make the proposed changes a port based on FreeBSD code, similar to
what
    has been done with colorls.  Those who wish to use the proposed
changes
    can install the port.  (The port could even support non-standard
syslog
    features like the use of TCP in addition to UDP or even encryption).

I tend to favour options 2 and 3 over option 1.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC