Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:01:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: time to up your pgp keys to 4096 bits?

Eivind Eklund wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 1998 at 08:46:38AM -0800, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> > Although it is smaller and faster than any silicon-based device,
> > quantum computers are not expected to replace desktop PCs or
> > supercomputers. Instead, these machines would be dedicated to
> > specialized tasks such as generating keys for strong cryptography,
> > an operation that requires a computer to factor very large numbers.
>
> Just to clear up here: This is about breaking RSA, not 'generation
> keys'.
>
> And if I have understood correctly, quantum computing make factoring a
> trivial excersise due to 'infinite parallelism'.  4096 bits is
> unlikely to help; _any_ key length is unlikely to help.

	not clear to me what level of parallelism they will be to
	achieve....there is no theortical limit to the degree of
	parallelism, just the practical limit in constructing
	the apparatus.

	the article, for what it is worth, seems to indicate
	that each register consists of ~50 ions.  each would
	require its own "laser-drivers".  each regiester could
	do 10e5 ops/us or 10e11 ops/sec.  so give them 10e12 or
	2e40 ops/sec.

	so how many ops per key test?    wanna give them 1 ROFL

	so 4096 bits or 2e4096 keys.
	50% chance of hitting in 2e4095 key tests.

	one register takes 2e4045 secs

	how many registers can they build?

	of course, my math may be worthless, its still earlier
	than 2pm here ;)
jmb