Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:41:44 +0900
From:      Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NFS and inability to mount remotely

I'm getting the following error trying to mount the nfs exports that I
have set up.

[tcp] nfshost:/exportPath: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure -
RPC: Timed out

to get it I'm running this mount command:

mount -v -t nfs -o tcp nfshost:/exportPath /mnt/temp/

If I run that same command (using localhost or it's hostname or ip) on
the server it mounts instantly.  I currently am trying the share with
no ips in exports which makes it claim that it is sharde to everybody.
 The same happens' however if I put the clients IP in the exports file
as well.

It seems that the following output is said to be useful:

<root@svnclient> [~] #rpcinfo -p svnhost
   program vers proto   port  service
    100000    4   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    3   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    4   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    3   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    4 local    111  rpcbind
    100000    3 local    111  rpcbind
    100000    2 local    111  rpcbind
    100005    1   udp   1014  mountd
    100005    3   udp   1014  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    789  mountd
    100005    3   tcp    789  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
<root@svnclient> [~] #

Also, I've googled for quite a while, and the solutions to this seem
to point to firewall rules, however, nmap shows the port as open and
listening.  The server is FreeBSD 6.0, client is -CURRENT .

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.