Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2002 09:27:09 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        core@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Search engine replacement for FreeBSD.org site

Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> At Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:31:09 -0500,
> Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>>>Sounds reasonable.  As one of webmaster, I want to check the code what
>>>program will be executed on www.FreeBSD.org box.  I'm orry if you feel
>>>I'm noisy, but that's what I should do.
>>>
>>>Core, can we take this approval of account to doceng@?  Or should vote
>>>on core@?
>>
>>Should I send a copy to you then?  Do you want to see the indexer,
>>search program, both, etc?
>

> Sorry, I've too hassle.  I've re-read doc@ thread about search engine
> replacement.  I cannot see any conclusion about replacement.

Which thread?  There have been quite a few, so I'm not 100% sure which
one(s) you've read..

> I (of course core@ too) should not decide without doc@ team's
> consensus.

Ok.. I agree - although the doc team sent me to core..

> To go next step, you should find strong supporter (committer) for your
> search engine.  To become a committer (for committing our CVS
> repository), you should find a committer as your mentor.

Umm.. Does anyone want to do this? Please? :)

> IMHO, your engine should improve as 1) and 2) in Nik's suggestion.  In
> addition to that, I'd like to include language selection which make
> this able to search other language contents.

Yes, agreed, but first things first.
The search engine at this point is built in 2 parts - one for the www
tree, and another part for the mailing lists.  The www search is the one
I want to start replacing now, and when that looks like it's ready, then
I'll push into replacing the mailing list search engine.  The language
selection is a great feature to add, but I don't see any problems with
adding functionality over time.

> Sorry again, but please try to promoto more in doc@ list.

So, now what?  Would someone like to mentor me?

Eric