Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:39:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, shocking@prth.pgs.com, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LD_PRELOAD & Linux emulation

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> I hope to have a heavy debug session tonight with my alternative
> pipe implementation (you guessed it the old socketbased one), I'll
> let you know what I find out...
> I have a test program that works under linsux and fails under the
> linuxulator, so I should be able to get some results...

Eagerly waiting...  :)

What happens with Sybase: data and transaction logs dumps are
handled by a dedicated backup server process.  The backup server
handles getting data from the database and then passes the data
via a pipe to a subprocess (an exec()'d program) that does the
actual i/o to the disk or tape.  The link between the backup
server and this i/o subprocess fails.

I have some ktrace output, but I'm not sure how reliable it is
since the i/o process behaves differently when traced than when
not traced.

-john