Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 21:49:13 +0400
From:      Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@over.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIOCGIFCONF (or qmail?) problem?

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 07:32:16PM +0400, Alex Povolotsky wrote:
> Investigating further, I've found that one of qmail's internal variables
> gets overwriten when calling ioctl SIOCGIFCONF with pointer to ifconf
> structure as argument (ipme.c, line 57 in qmail).
>
> I still have not found if qmail gives wrong address to ioctl or if ioctl use
> more memory than requested. The fail seems to occur after iterating through
Well, one step forth, if anyone is interested.

given 420 bytes of buffer before ioctl(s,SIOCGIFCONF,&ifc), ioctl uses 1024
and sets ifc.ifc_len to 1024. I am not kernel-hacker enough to understand
what's happening in /sys/net/if.c between lines 820 and 877, and, people,
it's 9:50 PM here in Moscow!

Can someone help?

Alex.