Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:36:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Uh... can anyone justfiy these .stabs?

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, David O'Brien wrote:

> Jeffr and I finally managed to get a Gcc 3.1 compiled kernel to link!
> I a little frustrating -- it seems we once again Asm directives a new
> toolchain does not like.  With Binutils 2.11 it was the ".loc"
> directives.  This time ".stabs".
>
> W/o this patch:
>
>     alpha/alpha/pal.s:75: relocation truncated to fit: REFLONG .text
>     alpha/alpha/prom_disp.s:67: relocation truncated to fit: REFLONG .text
>
> Does anyone know why this patch would be bad?

The stabs line is pointless as far as I can see. Just delete it rather
than commenting it out.

> BTW, do we actually use pal.s for anything?  A kernel links fine with
> out it.  It seems we 100% use in-line macros rather than these routines.

There is some small chance that this file would be needed again if we were
trying to support kernel builds without gcc (e.g. compaq's alpha cc).
Pretty tenuous, I'll admit. For gcc, it should be removed from the link, I
guess.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160