Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:36:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com
Subject:   Re: 4.2-RC1 failure on 164LX

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0011161135490.9657-100000@zeppo.feral.com>,
Matthew Jacob  <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, John Polstra wrote:
>
> > I don't know whether this is useful info or not, but the -stable
> > from Oct. 31 which is installed on my hard drive boots fine using
> > -current's loader.  "Huh?"  OK, I have a dual boot setup with -current
> > on da0a and -stable on da0f.  So when I boot, -current's loader always
> > gets control.  Then I can make it boot -stable like this:
> >
> >     unload
> >     set currdev=disk0f
> >     boot /kernel
> >
> > That works reliably.
>
> Hmm.

I'm starting to think my whole failure report should be viewed with
doubt.  I have just now successfully used the RC1 floppy 3 times in
a row, each time after a powered-off period of a minute or more.

The diskette media is a bit suspect.  After writing the kern.flp image
initially, I checked it with "dd < /dev/rfd0 | cmp - kern.flp" and got
a read error.  (This was not on the Alpha machine.)  I reformatted the
diskette and it seemed OK after that.  But it may be a bit flaky.  I
understand that the SRM is supposed to complain about media errors,
but I'd believe it more if I had ever seen it happen with my own two
eyes.  (Sorry, that's why I'm a programmer.)

John