Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2012 16:11:00 +0300
From:      Markiyan Kushnir <markiyan.kushnir@gmail.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?RGFnLUVybGluZyBTbcO4cmdyYXY=?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing CVS from HEAD

On 13.09.2012 13:59, Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav wrote:
> Markiyan Kushnir<markiyan.kushnir@gmail.com>  writes:
>> As a desktop user, I'm OK with the idea. However I have a concern on
>> using csup after Feb 2013. In my "custom upgrade" scenario (I use it
>> on my desktops, almost fully automated), I start with, roughly:
>>
>>    % pkg_delete -adf
>>    % [some extra cleanup]
>>    % csup<supfile-for-a-new-release>
>>    % [build and install the base system]
>>    % [build and install my batch of ports]
>>
>> After pkg_delete I have a clean base system "old" release, and at this=

>> point I'm able to update the base source tree before I proceed with
>> the building of the new world/kernel. After Feb, 2013 I wouldn't be
>> able to do it.  [...]  Do you have suggestions how I could adjust my
>> scenario to update /usr/src the new way?
>
> If I understand correctly, this is the procedure you use to upgrade fro=
> one release to another?  I would recommend sticking with binary release=
> and using freebsd-update(8) to update and upgrade.  If you really want =
> source tree, however, you can get one using svn.
>
> DES

For my desktop needs I would normally want binary releases. However I=20
like the freedom to upgrade to whatever I want, and the ability to tweak =

my "upgrade" scenario with things like switching gcc/clang, or=20
customizing the kernel.

I think I can replace csup with freebsd-update/portsnap pair for=20
upgrading the src and ports trees only, and still be able to build=20
everything from sources.

--
Markiyan.