Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:45:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@fort-knox.rave.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        darklogik@pittgoth.com, Jamie Heckford <jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk>, <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Chapter 11 - Storage

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> The example of the World Trade Center is a good one.  I think it should
> stay unless it is replaced with another concrete example of the need for
> "really off-site" backups.  If you want to reword it to make it less
> blunt, that's fine too.
>
> It's disturbing to think about the events of September 11, but anyone
> who feels that fault tolerance and disaster recovery is important would
> be a fool not to study this incident and learn from it.

I agree. I personally don't see anything in the message that is offensive.
I really think the backup's kept there are broken now. :)

And everybody knows about the WTC, which makes this a good (if not
overdone) example. Extreme things can happen, either by human action, or
-more likely- by disasters of nature.

How exactly does this show lack of respect for the loss of life?

Furthermore, and without the intention of making this a flame war, I
also believe being easy offended is at least as much a problem of the
receiver. If we always have to keep the documentation and our language
suitable for the most meek and weak, we're not democratic, and it won't
make the docs more interesting either.

The comment is in place, is correct, and a good example. If it offends
0,01% of the people who read it, well, bummer...

Regards,

  wouter

(This is my personal opinion ofcourse; I'd like to point out that I'm very
sensitive to censoring (as in seriously opposed to it) though - with all
respect to others' opinions.)