Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:39:25 -0800
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
To:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Import of DragonFly Mail Agent

--Apple-Mail=_FB0F918B-E922-4A06-AAB9-422D3EF3ACF6

On Feb 24, 2014, at 7:56 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> =
wrote:

> Bullshit.

Sounds like your week didn't get off to a good start.

> You got FreeBSD in there in the first place, there clearly
> is some kind of aperture through which software can migrate.

Yes, we walk in a DVD-ROM with a FreeBSD installation image on it.  This =
works because there is a self-contained installer that contains a very =
complete system.  Certainly enough to build things like file servers and =
network infrastructure machines (dhcp, ntp, other general network =
services).

Installing ports/pkgs, on the other hand, is a real pain.  For pre-built =
packages, you can build a list of dependencies, download the packages to =
an external machine, copy them to a portable drive, and walk them over =
to a shared filesystem.  This works, provided there are pre-built images =
of the package and its recursive dependency tree (and that they are =
configured in a way that works for your environment).

If the above doesn't work, you have to fall back to ports.  And this is =
where things get really hairy.  Just generating the list of required =
distfiles is problematic.  'make fetch-recursive-list' will give you a =
script to run to pull down the direct build dependencies, but this =
misses run-time dependencies.  Generating that list takes a lot of =
manual work, and is *very* time consuming.

The increasing focus on securing systems from network attacks in only =
increasing the number of air-gapped environments (and I know this from =
first hand experience).  The sort of massive unbundling that a few =
people are tossing around here has the potential to exponentially =
increase the workload of people operating in the environments I have =
witnessed (and worked in).  I want them to realize that there are =
ramifications to those sort of changes that need to be taken into =
consideration.

These days UNIX tends to be single-user environment, for the most part.  =
Because of that it is very easy for people to get into the mindset that =
"if I don't use it, nobody else uses it," and thus losing sight of the =
whole being so much greater than the sum of its parts.

That said, I can understand wanting to unbundle some of the very complex =
but lesser used components (e.g. bind).  But there's always a balancing =
act to be performed here.  Making every command in /usr/bin its own =
package serves nobody.  (Yes, I exaggerate to make a point.)

--lyndon