Date:      Sat, 03 Jan 1998 16:53:14 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Jason Hudgins <jason@www.dancooks.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good backup hardware????

Hello Jason,

I'm in a similar situation. What happens for you is that the tape has
reached the end (my guess; I get write errors when I reach
end-of-tapes), and is trying to tell you this on the tty; "fopen on
/dev/tty" means that it cannot talk to a console, probably because
you're running it from cron, or detached the dump process from the tty.

AFAIK, you can't run dump from cron, at least not directly. (I'd like to
hear from you folks! How do you make automated dumps?) Dump needs user
interaction when an error or end-of-tape occurs, or it will get
suspended or fail. Hence, it must be started from a console. I guess one
could make a script that runs on the console and sleeps during the
day...? Or maybe let cron attach the dump command to a console (better,
but how,and is it possible?).

What does your dump command look like? If your tape can swallow no more
than 2GB, you've reached the end-of-tape. Using the B option, yuo can
tell dump about the tape lenght, and get "tape-end" instead of
"write-error". If you expect hardware compression, are you sure it is
switched on? Probably not?

Hope this helps
Palle