Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 20:43:49 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HDD led stops working after FreeBSD...?

If this is to continue it really should be on -chat.

Greg Black writes:

> Okay you guys, this is fascinating -- but why do you care about
> LEDs on your disks?  I haven't had a (visible) LED on a disk for
> at least ten years and have never wished I had.  Is there some
> reason for wanting them?

It proves to your PHB (Pointy Haired Bosse) that the machine is working
its ass off for him. This impresses PHB's who then go back to their
office, order more HD's on their Windows Box, and try to replicate the
demo.

A 6' rack of StorageTek (Clariion) was delivered for a project. Had 3
bays that would hold 30 disks each. But only 24 disks were delivered. I
rearanged those into (4) RAID-5's, (3) hot swaps, and (1) Plain Old
Disk. Then under Irix striped the RAID-5's into one 137G FS. Then when
VIP's showed up, would launch a big "dd if=/dev/zero of=/file-on-raid"
so all 20 HD LED's would be flashing. Everybody always loved the show.
Even those who knew how silly it was because they *knew* I was putting
on a show.