Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:07:30 -0400
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

> You've said that KDE is only partially function under FreeBSD more than
> once now.  Would you please elaborate on this?

He listed three alleged shortcomings, all of which are bogus.  Kppp
(internet dialer): it works fine with FreeBSD's bundled pppd (which is
the same as the one in linux, though perhaps an older version).  I
should know, I used it for nearly two years before I got broadband
(and occasionally after, too, most recently with 5.0-CURRENT
(post-RELEASE) and KDE 3.1).  If something broke in the last 2 months,
a PR should be filed, but I doubt that's what happened.  Printing: it
works fine, as it should, the BSD lpr was default in most linux
distributions till recently and CUPS, which is taking over, is part of
FreeBSD's ports; KDE works with both but the KDE port in FreeBSD pulls
in CUPS by default.  Power management: yes there are problems, but
that applies to linux too.  In fact FreeBSD's ACPI support is probably
a bit better than linux's, and KDE's laptop daemon can be configured
with the exact acpi commands required to standby/suspend/hibernate the
system.

- Rahul