Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:10:50 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman now claims authorship of Linux

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> There are at least two projects -- ghostscript and qt -- whose authors
> (Peter Deutsch and Troll Tech, respectively) were uneasy about the GPL
> because it does not *sufficiently* restrict commercial use.  They
> wanted to sell commercial versions to people who wanted, while keeping
> it free for free software people, but were worried about loopholes in
> the GPL.  So both wrote their own licenses.  Deutsch chose to release
> old versions under the GPL, while Troll Tech eventually decided to
> dual-license their current versions because they wanted the community's
> goodwill.  I simply can't imagine them, or anyone else who wanted to
> make money, choosing the BSD license.

There's also the case of Kaffe. They started with a BSD license, after
seeing companies adopt the code without giving back they turned GPL.
It ended up being pretty bad for the consumers (us) because the code
was never adopted by mozilla due to the poison pill (it's not even
LGPLd). It was also good for Microsoft because they licensed the code
for their own purposes.

My $0.02

cheers,

    Pedro.