Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:01:27 -0800
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com>, freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gnome vs. KDE

Tim Erlin wrote:

> Alright, so let me turn it into an etiquette question
> (seems appropriate for -newbies). As a newbie, my
> resources for 'which is better' answers are pretty
> limited. I suppose the 'try both' method is good, but
> I'd like to draw on the experiences of those on this
> list. I can understand avoiding asking this on
> -questions, but it seems to me that this kind of
> discussion is just right for -newbies. Or is it?
>
> --Tim

Like many people on virtually any mailing list, when I see a subject
line "x" vs. "y", I instantly think "flame-war commencing".

Ideally, the more experienced people on -questions would be good sources
for information on noticeable differences between two sets of software
such as KDE and GNOME.  However, as has been noted so far, the
noticeable differences are not really possible to rate in an "objective"
manner.

Look and Feel - Both have different looks in their default
configuration.  Both are so customizable that this is a negligible
difference to any experienced user.  Check out the screenshots at both
websites if the default look and feel are important to you.

Speed - If you have a newer, faster machine, they will probably both
make you happy.  I have never seen any type of benchmark or speed
comparison between KDE and GNOME.  There used to be a lot of arguments
about their respective CORBA implementations - I've never heard about a
conclusive "winner".  I also don't really care, unless one was really
slower than the other. I _can_ say that I use neither because both are
piggy with resources and space so that my machines are _less_ useful
with them installed.  Note: they are not that much worse than Windows
(98 and 2K), and I'll probably give one or both a try when I setup my
Windows box as a dual-boot machine (not a high priority for me yet).

Applications - They both have "Office" type apps and many, many useful
utilities.  My only conclusion was that if I had the drive space of a
newer computer (I don't), I would try to have both installed.  My
impression was that each had an app or two that was better than the
equivalent on the other system. I haven't seen too much of Nautilus
(GNOME filemanager), but Konqueror (KDE) looks really nice.  I believe
it will be a toss up before a couple more years go by.

My personal advice, take it or leave it, would be to look at the
different apps that are built especially for KDE and GNOME and decide
which system has the most useful ones for you.  What do you want to do
on your machine?  Would GNumeric be a killer app for you?  What about
Konqueror or KWord?  Abiword looks nice and appears to be strongly
associated with GNOME.  Then there are the dozens of music
playing/recording apps for both systems.  If you're into programming,
then look at the main languages used for development - I believe KDE is
mostly C++, but there are Python and probably other wrappers for KDE.
GNOME, last I checked, had a broader selection of languages - by design
from the beginning of the project. I know this because I lurked in both
websites shortly after GNOME started, when I  first became interested in
free software.

When I'm having such a hard time figuring out which would be best for me
- it's pretty hard to give definitive advice.

Disclaimer: This stuff changes constantly, I'm not a project member or
even a big user of either system, stuff mentioned here could be out of
date, incorrect, or unfair.  I like several things about both KDE and
GNOME.  Like others, I like the compromise choices of Windowmaker or
XFCE better - they seem to have most of the features that I want/need as
user and take up fewer resources.

Brian Raynes