Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 08:58:50 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        "Eloy A. Paris" <Eloy.Paris@ven.ra.rockwell.com>
Cc:        "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@marmot.mole.org>, questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD works with Cy486DLC processors?

>Ooppss!!! You are absolutely right. My CPU is a 486DX4 NOT a 486DLC. The
>problem was that I was looking at what the kernel gives me at boot time:
>FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE #2: Mon Jun 17 12:22:05 AST 1996
>    eparis@skynet.ven.ra.rockwell.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/SKYNET
>CPU: Cy486DLC (486-class CPU)
>  Origin = "Cyrix"

Yeah, that's a bone-headed move on Cyrix' part.  The DLC
identification code was originally taken out of a piece of code used
to identify DLC/SLC parts, published in a Cyrix manual.

Then, the idiots went and made their DX processors respond the same
way to the same test!

>The processor has "486DX4" written on top of it. My apologies for causing
>this confussion.

>Can it be that the problem is that FreeBSD is mistakenly identifying the
>processor? Can I force FreeBSD to correctly identify the processor?

Unlikely.  That message is just telling you what FreeBSD found.
Unless someone has significantly changed the code since the last time
I read it, the kernel should just be using the processor the way the
BIOS sets it up.

Keeping in mind that you have a DX processor, and are seeing those
problems, you probably just have a badly designed motherboard, and
that CPU might work OK in a better motherboard.

Alternatively, you might be overheating the CPU if it's a 100MHz part.
Make sure your CPU fan is securly fastened and makes uniform contact
across the entire surface of the chip.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.