Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 11:44:43 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        tcg@ime.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: src tree owners

> > Is it safe to chown the src tree so one can use it without
> > having to be su.
> >
> > Is there a `proper` way for this?
>
> Why?  You have to be su to write to anything in there by default (and I
> know this from many personal experieneces forgetting to su to root before
> editing my kernel config :-).

Erm, perhaps that was why he was asking? :-)

In any event, you have to be root to be able to *install* anything
you've built from the source tree, so there doesn't seem to be a great
deal of point in changing it.

On Unix, the `proper` way is for configuration files to be owned by
root - it's not a good idea to allow just anybody to change them!

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk