Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:41:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, SimsS@Infi.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

> >>(For my benefit, can anyone explain why the default port address for ed0
> >>is 0x280?  I assume some historical reason, but I really don't know the
> >>details....)
> >
> >It is a common default for WD/SMC cards, which also use the ed driver.
>
>    So is 0x300. There's even a hard jumper to select it, and I think the
> WD/SMC cards are even set to 0x300 out of the box.

There is a hard jumper to select 0x300 on SOME cards, on others I believe it
is 0x280.  The jumper settings are an ugly mishmash, trust me, I used to
like jumper settable cards but with SMC changing the settings every other
revision of card, it rapidly becomes a stinking pile of doo doo.

> >>OK, how 'bout this:  I'll endorse nuking the ed1 device, but only if the
> >>default settings for the ed0 device are changed to 5/300 in GENERIC.  What
> >>say?
> >
> >No!
>
>    Erm, why? 0x300 is a better default.

Actually, I would really like to see ed1 stay.  The ed driver, in my
opinion, is by far the most popular Ethernet driver, and having two
interfaces available makes it very easy to rapidly do things like toss
a second network interface in a machine, build an "emergency router", etc.
without the downtime required to rebuild a kernel on a 386DX/40 with 8MB of
RAM (which takes a LONG time).

However, I will definitely scream if anyone removes sio2/sio3.  Disabled by
default, MAYBE.  Removed, NO.  I have seen far too many people who have
three or four STANDARD SERIAL PORTS and sio2/3 directly map to COM3/4.
There should be NO reason to screw around with this.  These lines support
standard PC hardware.  If you remove them, remove sio1 too because you
obviously only need one serial port to do an install.

The harder we make it for people to use out of the box, the more like Linux
we become.

I see the argument for simplicity, and I understand -c, but you also have to
realize that people who install GENERIC SunOS, GENERIC NetBSD, or whatever
Linux calls its default get a fully functional system.

I fail to see what dropping sio2/sio3/ed1 buys anyways, since these device
drivers are already required by sio0/sio1/ed0.  I assume it might save a FEW
bytes in kernel size for the extra entries.  BIG stinkin' deal.  That's a
small price to pay for making it work the way people would expect.

... JG