Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:29:25 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Documentation plan - handbook, etc.

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 07:35:52AM +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> > Yes. Off the top of my head the conversion process will allow HTML, PDF,
> > PS, plain ASCII and RTF. Right *now*, I don't fully understand the method
> > necessary to turn DocBook mark up into TeX. Once it's in TeX it can then
> > be converted to PS and PDF (via DVI).
>
> Does the PDF conversion produce a document with bookmarks and hyperlinks?

Apparently. I haven't got the PDF conversion stuff sorted yet, because I've
only just started to get to grips with the TeX conversion.

See <URL:http://www.mulberrytech.com/dsssl/dssslist/archive/0771.html>;

Hopefully my earlier message to this list contained enough information so
that those folks that know TeX but don't know Jade can get started and offer
up some advice.

> I have reservations about PDF because not everyone has the browser, but
> if PDF is used, it should have its most useful features enabled. Apparently
> some windoze victims seem to think it's a good idea, and it prints well.

I agree. Keep in mind though that PDF will be just one of a number of
formats. One of the advantages of using SGML is that it is not tied to any
one platform and/or viewer. Adding new target formats just needs one
motivated person to write the backend. There's no particular reason (other
than time) that there couldn't be a *roff backend to Jade, for example.

> In particular, a PDF version of the handbook would be worth the effort of
> doing well. So much so that I'd be prepared to add the links with this
> hideous little Adobe app that's hiding on my NT partition, if your
> conversion process doesn't do it all. The input could be ps or pdf or rtf.

That (hopefully) won't be necessary.

Incidentally, I did a test run with the current Handbook after doing a
quick and dirty conversion to DocBook. It works out at roughly 380 pages
of A4. . .

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?