Date:      Mon, 08 May 2006 10:18:27 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, yraffah@savola.com
Subject:   Re: 6.0 RELEASE and Volume Managers

> OK, I found out that my array has been already set up as RAID 5, which
> is what I'm looking for. Do you think it is time now to configure the
> volumes or is there something else needs to be done before that?

If the array has been set up as RAID 5 then just go ahead and install
FreeBSD on it. I run a lot of machines like this, including a couple of
DL380's, and my home machine which has a COmpaq 5304 card plugged into
an MSI amd64 motherboard quite happily.

I usually try and istall a small Windows2000 partition on the machine as well
though, so that I can run the Compaq ACU code to manage the array. It can be
done from the BIOS, but there are a lot more features in the actual
application.

-pcf.