Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:42:45 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
Cc:        patl@phoenix.volant.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Y chromosomes [ Was: Java-based Crypto Decoder Ring ...]

On Wednesday,  7 October 1998 at 16:46:18 -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> [Moved to chat, this is too far from 'security' for my taste...]
>
> On Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 08:45:46AM +0200, Marius Bendiksen woke me up to tell me:
>>
>>> Actually, there are some -very- rare individuals who have two Y
>>> chromosomes.  But they also have an X chromosome.  And there are
>>> some equally rare folks with two Xes and a Y.  IIRC, there are
>>> no obvious physical signs; but such folk tend to be subject to
>>> various extremes of anti-social and violent behavour.

I knew a (girl?) with XXY.  IIRC it's called Turner's syndrome.  She
didn't look completely abnormal, apart from the scars where, at birth,
they had detached her ears from her neck and shoulders.  She had two
*very* good-looking (XX) sisters, who also looked quite like each
other, and by comparison she looked a little strange.  I was told she
had a sharply reduced life expectancy (about 40), and it wouldn't
surprise anybody to know that she was infertile.

>> Actually, there are (iirc) some physical signs. The only
>> permutations which don't cause any problems are:
>>
>> XX, XY, XXXY

XXXY?  How many of them turn up?

> I can't think of many things that have caused more problems and
> complications than the first...
> Interesting enough, those in that category say the same about the
> second...  I guess the less common ones really ARE safer...  ;)

I'm not sure I understand this.

Greg