Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 10:24:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stereo RealAudio for FreeBSD!

> I have been trying to find any major negative artifacts using mpeg at 384
> and really can't find any (sounds really good.)  I am going to have to
> go to serious A/B to find the defects.  Of course, some of your (or someones)
> comments about the mpeg process degrading pretty quickly below 128 or so
> appears to be true.  However, music is quite recognizable, and would be

Hmm, I havent been able to distinguish a 128 vs CD stream except in the rarest
of cases (pure digital tones seem to get thwacked the worst).  Have you tried
a 256kbps bit rate?

> if this is boring for all you multimedia software experts, but I am a bit
> of a newbie in this stuff, finally PC hardware appears to start becoming
> really interesting for playing with all the ideas that this frustrated
> ex-EE has been having over the years...

:)  What sort of thing are you using this for John?

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich