Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:55:27 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Keith Bottner <keith@barkinglizards.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Detect hardware changes

Keith Bottner wrote:

>I have not compiled a kernel. This is a standard FreeBSD 5.4-Release
>installation. How can I check to see if the loadable module is installed?

Have a look in /var/run/dmesg.boot and see if you have a line like

sk0: unknown media type 0xff

If so, plug your card into the network and try again.  Even if you don't
see such a line, try it if you haven't already.  If that doesn't work
then what does /var/run/dmesg.boot show for sk0 and skc0?

I have an SMC card based which fails to attach without a cable -- not
sure if it needs to be plugged in to a router or not.  The onboard
chipset on a different PC has no such failing.

--Alex