Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:00:04 -0800
From:      walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia.ko load failed on -current

Jan Stocker wrote:

>>>Before blaming me, i know it is not supported for 5.x or -current, but i
>>>think some of us have that stuff already running on -current.
>>>
>>>I've been in hospital for many weeks and now i updated my system (late
>>>November) to the currents current. After adding the missing include, i
>>>successfully compiled the nvidia driver but loading the kernel module
>>>leads to:
>>>
>>>Feb 24 08:17:08 Twoflower kernel: link_elf: symbol rman_get_start
>>>undefined...
>>
>>IIRC I had this same problem when I tried the new scheduler (SCHED_ULE)
>>because (for some reason I don't understand) the linux.ko kernel module
>>was not built when I compiled my kernel.
>>
>>When I went back to the old scheduler (SCHED_4BSD) the linux.ko module
>>reappeared and all worked again -- except that you'll get a 'page fault
>>while in kernel mode' when you shut down the X server.
>>
>>I didn't try actually compiling linux into the kernel with the new
>>scheduler -- you might try that first if you want to run the new
>>scheduler
>

> My system has never seen the ULE scheduler, so there must be another
> thing...

I didn't mean to imply that the scheduler itself caused the problem,
just that the linux kernel module was missing for some reason and
that was really the problem.  Are you sure the linux module is there
and is loaded before the nvidia kernel module?  The link_elf error
message suggests that maybe linux is not really there.