Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:21:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth limiting on Switch.

> > Can one monitor bandwidth as well as limit it with dummynet?
> Dummynet is part of (or configured via) ipfw, so you can just add in an
> identical 'count' ipfw rule...
>
> It would be handy if we could specify dummynet pipes as an interface, to

The new dummynet code in 4.0 (soon to go into 3.4) lets you do
this as it has counters associated to pipes, and it also gives you
the ability to define masks and create separate pipes per each flow,
so you can basically  do counting with something like

    ipfw add pipe 1 ip from any to any
    ipfw pipe 1 config mask src-ip 0xffffffff bw 60Kbit/s

so you can have per-host accounting, and the like. Kind of the things
you can do with trafshow/ntop but this is in-kernel so it is
interface-independent.

	cheers
	luigi