Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:00:28 -0800
From:      "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@pike.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@pike.cdrom.com>, Dave Yost <Dave@Yost.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, rab@pike.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: The Linux PR firestorm disaster (w.r.t. FreeBSD)

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> said...
>At 04:58 PM 2/28/99 -0800, Robert A. Bruce wrote:
>
>>Seriously, I am working on a chart to hand out at the FreeBSD booth
>>at LinuxWorld next week, and I am having a hard time coming up with
>>a list of things that FreeBSD does better than Linux.
>
>Easier installs, especially network installs

Okay.  This is a good point.  I have heard that until recently
Linux didn't support upgrades at all, but required complete re-installs.

>-- and runs the first time on more platforms.

Is this really true?  I have heard that Linux has more support for
obscure hardware.

>The FreeBSD Ports collection is the most accessible and easiest to use
>library of free software packages in the business.

Okay.

>Better track record with regard to security holes. Survey Bugtraq;
>far more Linux bugs than FreeBSD bugs appear.

I didn't have this.  Yes, this is good.

>Unencumbered by the GPL. You can really USE the code!

Okay.  But this is a controversial issue.

>More and better courseware and documentation out there than for
>any other operating system, bar none. Why? Because it's Berkeley
>UNIX!

Yes, this is another very good point that I hadn't thought of.

>Better drivers -- especially for Intel Etherexpress Pro and other
>best of breed cards.

Yes, but I think this is a fleeting advantage.  Linux will catch up.

>Yahoo and Hotmail use it in preference to Linux.

Okay.  I have a list of these, plus others, such as Xoom.com, USWest, etc.
Hotmail is an especially good propaganda point, since it is owned by
Microsoft.

>Can run all of its own software PLUS 99% of all Linux software.

Is 99% a real number, or should I just say "most"?

>Uses the networking stack upon which all others are based.
>
>And more....

If you have more, I would appreciate if you can send them.  This is exactly
the sort of information that I need.  Thanks.

	-bob