Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:56:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        fullermd@narcissus.ml.org, giles@nemeton.com.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

> > I have to agree; I just became/got stuffed into being admin for an AIX
> > machine, and I don't even want to think about it all.  I look in /etc, and
> > just about everything's symlinked all over the disk!!  What happens in one
> > of those other partitions gets corrupted, and that's where the file you
> > need to fix it actually is?? Not to mention, just trying to ls -fl, you
> > can barely read it all.

that has been my experience as well. Nevertheless:

> 	1. replace files in /etc/with symlinks to /var/etc or /etc/local.

this solves all the above problems.

> 	2. edit /etc/sysconfig to contain shell HERE documents.
> 	   if a shell variable is set (CONFIGETC ?) then and only then
> 	   are the HERE documents used to replace the contents of the
> 	   files in /etc.   the location _does_not_chnage_.
>
> 	   to clone a box, all you would need to do is copy /etc/sysconfig
> 	   to another computer and set CONFIGETC in /etc/sysconfig.

i see two minor difficulties here, i) /etc/sysconfig might be run several
times at boot time since different files might need its variables, and
ii) a way is needed to make sysconfig reflect changes to the various
files. The first is only (hopefully) a problem of efficiency, the
second means that you cannot really clone a system using this method.

	Luigi