Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 1995 13:59:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        waarbau@super.org (William A. Arbaugh)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org, tom@batc.allied.com
Subject:   Re: 0412 SNAP install hangs after 'changing root device ...'

It looks as if we have a problem with the new slice code that went
out in the last SNAP.

My guess is that certain disklabel/BIOS-data/MBR combinations
are interpretted differently than before, leading to
an inability to read the root partition...

> 3. During the install of 0412 newfs produces the following warning
> message 'Calculated sectors per cylinder 4096 disagrees with disklabel
> (2046). No other warnings/errors are produced during the install.

I think this is possibly a clue..

> 4. Booting the 0412 SNAP kernel placed on the disk by the install process
> with -v prints out the BIOS geometries and then hangs.  Looking at the
> sources for 0322- that tells me that it's getting to cpu_startup() but
> not much more.  The geometries reported are:
>
> 		BIOS Geometries: 0:3ff0208
> 		 1:4f010f
> 		 2:4f010f
> 		 3:4f010f
> 		 4:4f010f
> 		 5:4f010f
> 		 6:4f010f
> 		 7:4f010f
> 		 0 accounted for
>
> Booting the 0322 fixit floppy with -v produces the same geometry
> information. I haven't a clue if that info is good/bad etc.
>
> 5. Anyone have a 0412 based fixit floppy?  I'm stuck and I'm not sure how
> to proceed.
phk just made one...