Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 2021 09:21:45 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg crashes several times a day

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 15:50:16 +0700
Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:

> I still fail to understand why /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko is there at all
> as part of the GENERIC kernel if it does not work.

	As best as I can understand it the module (and the whole in-tree
drm stack) does work for older hardware but is increasingly troublesome on
newer hardware and has been slated for removal and replacement by the port
following a deprecation policy which means it hasn't quite gone yet.

	In the old days when there was talk of Vikings taking axes to the
tree it would probably have been removed some time ago and there would have
been  period of complaint about the sudden need to install a port.

	No policy is perfect.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>