Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:24:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail

> In article <199611250434.PAA27300@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au>,
> Michael Smith  <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> >I'd also appreciate input from anyone that can see a problem with having
> >sendmail lying around but not running; if it's thought that this is still
> >a security risk, then there should be a comment in the handbook section
> >on mailer security suggesting that it be disabled (nuked, re-moded, etc.).
>
> Remoded. It'll still work to *send* mail if it's not running, and there
> are convenient security holes there too.

Absolutely agree; anything that is suid and is not being used should have
the suid bits removed (at a minimum).

That extends to other things as well.  :-)  Anybody want to write a little
tool that "knows" how to do this, configurably?  Maybe some mtree files
plus a little menu widget.

A quick inspection reveals that the following files (maybe more) are suid:

/bin/rcp
/sbin/dump
/sbin/rdump
/sbin/ping
/sbin/restore
/sbin/rrestore
/sbin/route
/sbin/shutdown
/sbin/mount_msdos
/usr/bin/cu
/usr/bin/uucp
/usr/bin/uuname
/usr/bin/uustat
/usr/bin/uux
/usr/bin/suidperl
/usr/bin/sperl4.036
/usr/bin/at
/usr/bin/atq
/usr/bin/atrm
/usr/bin/batch
/usr/bin/chpass
/usr/bin/chfn
/usr/bin/chsh
/usr/bin/ypchpass
/usr/bin/ypchfn
/usr/bin/ypchsh
/usr/bin/keyinit
/usr/bin/lock
/usr/bin/login
/usr/bin/passwd
/usr/bin/yppasswd
/usr/bin/quota
/usr/bin/rdist
/usr/bin/rlogin
/usr/bin/rsh
/usr/bin/su
/usr/bin/crontab
/usr/bin/lpq
/usr/bin/lpr
/usr/bin/lprm
/usr/bin/newaliases
/usr/bin/mailq
/usr/bin/register
/usr/libexec/uucp/uucico
/usr/libexec/uucp/uuxqt
/usr/libexec/mail.local
/usr/sbin/mrinfo
/usr/sbin/mtrace
/usr/sbin/ppp
/usr/sbin/pppd
/usr/sbin/sendmail
/usr/sbin/sliplogin
/usr/sbin/timedc
/usr/sbin/traceroute
/usr/games/dm

It seems to me that many of these are parts of various system "services"
(UUCP, LPR, Mail, YP, rcmds).  What might be way cool is a program that
presents a menu such as

System Services
enabled  A) Sendmail
disabled B) UUCP
disabled C) Printing
enabled  D) IIJ-PPP
disabled E) sliplogin

Etc. and allows you to turn each one on or off (basically fixing up the
permissions).

Just a thought, not a volunteer  ;-)

... JG