Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 11:51:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld Electric: Linux Zealots Trashing FreeBSD, Berkeley License

On Sat,  2 May 1998 at 18:25:47 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> As usual, a group of GPL zealots have gotten loose in an InfoWorld forum,
> claiming that RMS is nothing less than a saint and that the GPL is The One
> True Way. They're also trashing FreeBSD and the Berkeley-style license
> quite a bit. Some folks from this list might care to join in.... In fact, I
> think they should, as previous discussions on the InfoWorld forums have
> raised FreeBSD's profile. The URL for the discussion is
>
> http://forums.infoworld.com/threads/get.cgi?53767
>
> You can read the messages without registering, but need to fill out a short
> registration form to post. (From what I can tell, you don't have to give
> much -- or accurate -- information on the form.)

Copying (and following-up to) advocacy.  This seems a better forum.

Well, speech is free, but I don't think you'll get much satisfaction
fighting a bunch of people who see things differently.  Having said
that, of course, I'd have a hard time suggesting that you stop :-)

I don't think that it's a good idea to get FreeBSD's name too involved
in this kind of discussion, though.  It'll just give the zealots more
ammunition.  (I don't know if you *do* mention FreeBSD--I haven't had
time to read all the messages.

Greg