Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:48:32 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Round two of the front page structure changes...

--FUFe+yI/t+r3nyH4

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:10:30PM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:21:41 +0100
> Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org> wrote:
>=20
> >=20
> > I like it, but I think there are still way too many links in the
> > sidebar.
>=20
> Yes, too many can be overwhelming.  I'm thinking of ways to get
> around this.  If we do site cleanup, then perhaps we can break
> things up a bit.  Like this:
>=20
> Front page
> Support ---- America -- links, documentation, ...
>              Other -- links to <language> sites, translated docs, ...
>=20

I have to think about this some more, I don't think your example above
catches it quite right.

> >=20
> > As you already notes, the 'Vendors' section actually belongs to the
> > 'Software' section.  'Documentation' and 'Support' could be consolidated
> > into a 'Resources' section.
>=20
> That was kind of what I thought too, and I think Mark noted that
> in either private/public mail to me.  Like on the IBM/Microsoft/Intel
> site, you visit the support section (usually support.domain.xxx) and
> they have downloads, documentation, software/hardware errata,
> bug/knowledge base...  There may be something to that idea...
>=20

Yes, something like that would be nice.

>=20
> >=20
> > Maybe we should put the links to language specific web pages in a more
> > prominent position (and list all available languages on the front page).
> >=20
> > In general, we should unclutter the side bar.  IMHO, NetBSD and OpenBSD
> > have done a good job in this regard.  4 or 5 big subsections which
> > roughly categorize the links to subsection pages, which can contain all
> > the other stuff.
>=20
> My goal explained!  A good one or two 'key words' which link to a
> large area containing everything they would want.  Easy to navigate,
> tons of useful information, no hunting around an endless wave of
> links to find one simple answer...  Not that our site is that bad,
> yet...
>=20

Good to see we're on the same line on this one.  Haven't read most of
the other thread, so if I just parrotted what you already said, sorry
about that one :-)

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--FUFe+yI/t+r3nyH4

--FUFe+yI/t+r3nyH4--