Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:24:16 -0700
From:      jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's in my hard drive? How can I get rid of it?

On 02/17/2015 02:27 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:24:11 -0500, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
>> http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html
> When I was young we cracked copying protections and removed bugs from
> the broken assembler code of software we pay for. If we wouldn't have
> cracked the copy protection, it would have damaged our floppy disks
> (Commodore 1541 bump, with later disks using a light barrier, it was
> impossible to load the copy protected software, we needed to remove the
> light barrier and/or crack the copy protection) and if we wouldn't have
> fixed the bugs, the software wouldn't have worked.
>
> That was a note about the "criminal" hackers from my generation and now
> a note about the "criminal" hackers about the current generation.
>
> Guerilla Open Access Manifesto:
> https://archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt
>
> IOW it's an ethical decision. I never read a diary of somebody else,
> just because I was able to do it. Cracking software we pay for, that
> doesn't work and/or will damage our hardware, hacking for social
> commitment are good ethical reasons.
>
> Schadenfreude and greed are bad.

I believe a major overhaul of the software industry (both open source
and commercial) is way way overdue.
A people's tribunal of highly capable software and hardware engineers
is desperately needed to look into the source codes of all SW and HW
designs and implementations - including the compilers and assemblers.