Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 1995 14:59:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Masterplan 1.00 (fwd)

On Thu, 14 Sep 1995, -Vince- wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> 	I am attempting to get masterplan working under FreeBSD but have
> been unsuccessful so I emailed the author and was told that FreeBSD
> doesn't allow named pipes to be created.  Can anyone confirm this and
> know what I can do to get masterplan working?  Thanks..
>
> Cheers,
> -Vince- vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
> UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
> SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
> Chabot Observatory & Science Center

FreeBSD does allow named pipes, but NOT with the mknod() function.  What you
will need to do is change all references of mknod() to the mkfifo() command,
which, unlike mknod(), doesn't require root privileges.  The problem is that
many other operating systems support BOTH mknod() and mkfifo() for named
pipes, but FreeBSD only supports mkfifo() for this purpose.  What you'll
need to do is change all references of:

mknod( foo, S_IFIFO | permission, ignored)

mkfifo( foo, permission)

...Just remove the middle S_IFIFO constant and leave off the last argument.
The last argument to mknod is ignored (and will probably be 0), but the
second argument in both cases specifies the access permissions.  The
first argument is going to be the path of the fifo to create (e.g.
"/tmp/myfifo" or a variable name). Hope this helps..

---Jake Hamby
  jehamby@lightside.com