Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 20:09:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy?  I think not.

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Thomas M. Sommers wrote:

> Had gcc been under a BSD license, it would have been just as deadly.
> Sure, a company could have made proprietary changes to it, and tried to
> sell it, but who would buy it?  Or, to put it another way, how much
> could they have charged for it and still sell some?  The fate of BSDi
> shows how difficult it is to sell proprietary versions of BSD-licensed
> software (at least on commodity hardware).

One example is not enough. (Anyways I don't see the fate of BSD/OS.)

Now look at all the proprietary routers, firewalls, UNIX operating systems
and various other software that are based on BSD licensed code and are
succesfully sold.

Is anyone interested in helping make a list? Feel free to email me with
proprietary product(s), what BSD code, and any relevant URLs, and I'll
start compiling it ...

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/