Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:15:42 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: To Asian FreeBSD hackers: Japanese boot.flp is now available!

> We release the alpha-test version of Japanese boot.flp for FreeBSD
> 2.2-960612-SNAP.  It contains all fonts for ASCII character set (128
> chars), JIS-0201x-1979 "Kana" character set (128 chars with 8th bit),
> and JIS-0208-1983 level 1 "Kanji" character set (about 3000 multibyte
> chars) in only "one 2HD 1.44MB floppy" !!  It can display these
> mutibyte characters on normal PC VGA display without any special
> localized hardware.

That sounds really neat!  It's too bad you guys haven't done one for
2.1.5-STABLE also, we could put it on the upcoming CD.. :-(

How long would it take you to do that, seriously?  If you started with
a fresh 2.1-STABLE tree today, you'd have essentially the same
sysinstall bits (and docs) I intend to put on the 2.1.5 CD this
Friday, and I don't expect that'd be any more difficult to retrofit in
than your 2.2 work since I'm using the same sysinstall sources in both
branches.  If I could get a Japanese installation boot floppy on
there, I might even wait a day or two past friday. :-)

> I think it is possible to create Chinese boot.flp, Korean (hangul)
> boot.flp, etc. based on this work.  If you're interested in creating
> your boot.flp in your mother tongue, please e-mail me!

I think that'd be really nice.  We tried some experimental I18N
support in 2.0.5, as you remember, but that all fell apart due to the
fact that we really needed to come up with a better way of localizing
the install and I never really put the necessary time into it (hangs
head).  Maybe you guys will be the inspiration we need to restart that
project! :-)

					Jordan