Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 1997 22:38:00 -0500
From:      Barry McCormick <bmac2@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD and Goldstar CD drives

I have been running FreeBSD for almost a year now.  I bought the Walnut
Creek 2.1.5 version (dated August 1996).  I now have 2.1.6 also.  My
problem is that I had my Mitsumi 4X CD crap out and I replaced it with a
Goldstar 16X.  Now I cannot get either version of FreeBSD to recognize
the drive.  I run System Commander so I can run multiple operating
systems on one machine.  OS2 Warp, Win95, Dos 6.22, and Linux are all
installed and work flawlessly with the goldstar.  I have tried several
of the cd drivers in the standard kernel with no luck.  Could you please
either tell me how to solve the problem, or point me to somewhere to
find the info.  I am an engineer and can do some programming, but my
unix skills are limited, but I want to compile myself a custom kernel to
solve my problems.   Below is a listing of the hardware in my system.

Pentium -90
PCI motherboard
Diamond Stealth Video 2001
3Com Etherlink III (isa) 16 bit network card
1.44 floppy
Jumbo 250 tape drive (floppy cable driven)
US Robotics 56K sportster
Western Digital 3.1Gig EIDE
Conner 340 meg ide

Thanks for any help you can give me.  My son in law and I both have the
goldstar drives and we are both at a loss of how to get them to work.
Thanks again.

Barry McCormick
New Orleans, LA
home email - bmac2@bellsouth.net