Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:39:12 -0700
From:      Andy Balholm <andy@balholm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD logo

David Brodbeck wrote:=20
> It also hasn't escaped my notice that the original poster has never =
come back to this thread; I suspect we've been trolled, folks.

That's possible. It's also possible that, after reading the responses to =
his inquiry, the original poster decided that his question had been =
adequately answered, his concerns were justified, and he should use a =
different operating system. If so, I can hardly blame him, even though I =
personally feel that boycotting BSD because of its mascot doesn't fit =
very well with the apostle Paul's advice to the Corinthian Christians =
that it was OK for them to buy from butchers who "sacrifice to daemons" =
(my own translation of "=CE=B4=CE=B1=CE=B9=CE=BC=CE=BF=CE=BD=CE=AF=CE=BF=CE=
=B9=CF=82 =CE=B8=CF=8D=CE=B5=CE=B9" in 1 Corinthians 10:20).

The original post looks to me like an expression of sincere concern =
about BSD's image, not an accusation of satanism or an attempt to start =
an argument. I wouldn't call his concern ignorant either: although the =
UNIX term "daemon" is not satanic in origin, some aspects of Beastie's =
appearance are obviously derived from traditional depictions of the =
Devil.=20

Andy Balholm
(509) 276-2065
andy@balholm.com