Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:15:34 +0100
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD version to base Sparc development on

About the kernel.

How to download the kernel and play with it?
Under Linux you can download a single package and then try to compile it
(the kernel package). I have seen the src/ dir and I have seen many 200K
packages.
Which download? How to build the kernel without downloading the entire
500MB distribution?

What I need is only the kernel. I don't want to download unuseful stuff.

Could be CVS a solution?

Will this situation change in the future? (separate kernel package and
user-land)

> > The 3.1 version could be a good candidate, but I have seen a 4.0 version
> > in the -current tree...
>
> Definiately some point along 4.0-CURRENT.  Fresh experiemential code,
> such as supporting Sparc, cannot be 1st introduced into the 3.x branch.
> Also if you target 3.x, the you will have a hell of a time adding the
> Sparc bits into 4.x.  This is one of the mistakes of the PAO [laptop]
> code.
>

> > Personally I think 4.0 is too young. So 3.1 could be a very interesting
> > investment.
>
> Again, starting from 3.1 you will have an orphaned port that will never
> be merged into mainline FreeBSD.

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _