Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2005 04:05:18 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: PPP over ATM

What exactly is this copper?

If this is an ATM25 interface, for example, it's going to have
3 pairs, a TX a RX and DC power.  And it's going to be terminated
on a RF45 jack.  There will be no telephone number associated
with this

If however it's ADSL then it's a single pair, on a telephone POTS
line.  If that is the case then it's a band of frequencies that
need to be converted
into something that the FreeBSD system can understand electrically.
That is what the DSL modem does.

Ted