Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 21:39:08 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        paulg@interlog.com (Paul Griffith)
Subject:   Re: Linux faster thasn FreeBSD

As Paul Griffith wrote:

> > Additionally, it seems like you chose the slowest disk for a swap
> > partition and you probably didn't fine tune the kernel ;-).
> >
> > 	Pedro.
>
> So I should use the SCSI HD as my swap space ?

Not really.  Not after reading your hardware inventory again...  With
a decent SCSI controller, i would have immediately answered this
question with `yes', however.

> What basic fine tuning
> would you suggest ?

Oh well...  You've got FreeBSD about at the worst supported hardware
at all. ;-)  FreeBSD's aic6[23]60 support plain sucks.  We consider
this driver unsupported (since nobody feels compelled enough to
support it), and even with a better driver, the chip remains PIO or
motherboard DMA, so it will either bind too much CPU, or rather slow.

My tuning advice: try to pick up an old AHA-1540 (even 1540A will do),
and then use the SCSI disk for pagiing space.  I would be surprised if
the machine doesn't feel faster after such a change.  There's probably
no other well-supported _and_ cheap SCSI controller for this class of
hardware; my old scratchbox (386/40) also uses an AHA-1540A.  For a
PCI machine, the recommendation would be immediately to use a NCR
53c810 part, since they have about the best bang per buck ratio.

j@uriah 201% dd if=/dev/rsd0 bs=1m count=20 of=/dev/null &\
dd if=/dev/rsd1 bs=1m count=20 of=/dev/null &
[1] 15350
[2] 15351
j@uriah 202% 20+0 records in
20+0 records out
20971520 bytes transferred in 4.486693 secs (4674160 bytes/sec)
20+0 records in
20+0 records out
20971520 bytes transferred in 4.459271 secs (4702903 bytes/sec)

9.3 MB/s over a 10 MHz 8-bit SCSI bus doesn't seem to be very bad. :)
(Yeah, i know, i should take sd1 off to the second bus, since this
disk can shuffle > 8 MB/s sustained rate alone.)

--
cheers, J"org