Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:49:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        wghicks@bellsouth.net (W Gerald Hicks)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNU GLOBAL

> Tradition counts.  GLOBAL isn't quite sendmail.

On the other hand, sendmail is easier to extract and isolate (there are
no sendmail-specific patches to nvi, for example), and there are several
alternative packages (postfix, exim, qmail, smail, etc) that one might
want to *replace* sendmail with that provide basically the same interface.

I have mixed feelings about the idea of trimming the "core" to exclude
traditional UNIX components. On the one hand, you can take it too far...
I'd hate to see FreeBSD turn into Linux... but on the other there are
arguably things that really should be optional these days, like UUCP
and sendmail, or that are updated externally out of sync with FreeBSD,
like sendmail or bind.