Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2013 11:15:18 -0300
From:      Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <lenzi.sergio@gmail.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Cc:        Martin Siebel <msiebel@gmx.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 fails to boot from CD on Notebook

seems that some notebooks the bios loads
part of the boot from the HD first before
trying to boot from the CD, so when the CD boots,
the system expects some windows stuff, when
it "sees"  FreeBSD, it reboots...

Solution I found:
1) get/buy another HD for notebook (here a 320GB costs U$100)
2) make sure the HD is NOT INITIALIZED (blank)
3) install the FreeBSD in the HD in a desktop machine that for sure
boots FreeBSD
4) open the notebook, install the FreeBSD HD in the notebook, usually a
door under the notebook
5) boot from the HD

Here for me it worked..

Beware that some notebooks you may void warranty if you
install another OS than windows... that is why I still have the
original HD with windows8 inside..
If there is a problem with the notebook, I can always replace
the original HD and return it to factory..