Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:04:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Mac Newbold <mac@macnewbold.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bug in handbook, 22.10 SMTP Authentication

It seems that one very important step is missing in this documentat. At
the very end, it mentions adding some lines to /etc/rc.conf to ensure that
pwcheck is started on every reboot. However, they neglect to mention that
before anything will work, you have to manually start pwcheck the first
time.

I think the solution is to add something at either the end of step 5, or
the beginning of step 6 (before "make install restart" in /etc/mail/) that
suggests that users run /usr/local/sbin/pwcheck as root.

Another thing that could be added, if desired, which I found helpful, is
something like they do here:

http://veldt.com/2003/08/smtp-auth-ssl-with-sendmail-freebsd/

The SSL setup instructions would be helpful and useful, but what I'm
referring to is the description of what to look for when you "telnet
localhost 25", and "ehlo". Knowing that you can check for "250 AUTH LOGIN"
to verify that it is working properly is very helpful.

Thanks,
Mac

mac@macnewbold.com	http://www.macnewbold.com/