Date:      04 Jul 1996 05:56:46 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        ishort@pcm.co.za
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fast mirror of 2.1-960627-SNAP in South Africa...

"Irvine Short" <ishort@pcm.co.za> writes:
> Hi All
>
> Is there such a thing?
>
> I found the one at ftp.za.freebsd.org and I am ftp'ing the boot.flp
> intending to do a ftp install, but at 1.3k/s between me and them
> it'll take ages and ages...

Try installing with a 14.4K modem :-) (I actually got 1.5K/sec
though).  BTW, I've noticed ftp transfers have dropped to .57K/sec (I
never get more, unless it's text, then it's up to 2K/sec).  I checked,
and I connect at 14400/ARQ/V42bis/(couple other things), so that isn't
the problem.  My ISP gets about 60K/sec from most sites, so that isn't
the bottleneck either.  I wonder if it has something to do with the
2.1.0-stable user-mode ppp, because my speed dropped when I upgraded
that (the rest of the system is still 2.1.0-RELEASE, until
2.1.5-RELEASE is out).  Though one nice thing is I don't get
disconnected anymore.

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com)
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!